How important to sleep?

Questions and discussions about the health benefits of sunlight, getting enough quality sleep, our circadian rhythm, and so on.
Playboy6

How important to sleep?

Post by Playboy6 » May 29th, 2019, 10:36 pm

What is minimum to sleep? If I sleep 4 hours per night, is that enough? Primary goal Muscle building.

Shall I get up the same time on weekends like in the week? I always sleep longer If I can.

I Also snooze a few times before going up...

Joachim Bartoll
Site Admin

Re: How important to sleep?

Post by Joachim Bartoll » May 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

For health, and also your muscle-building efforts, sleep is very important. But much more so ‘sleep quality’ than ‘sleep duration’. What counts are how long you remain in deep sleep and REM sleep during your sleep cycles. If your sleep quality is high, you can easily do fine with 6 hours a night. But if your sleep quality is below average you might need 7.5 hours or even 9 hours.
We usually sleep in 1.5 hour-cycles. You need two cycles, i.e. 3 hours, for one cycle of deep sleep and REM sleep. So, 6 hours is perfect. 4,5 hours is doable, and 7,5 hours might be needed for most people.
This is why I have a page devoted to sleep in all my client’s program. It’s that important!
So, make sure you avoid blue light (screens) after 8 pm when your natural production of melatonin starts to ramp up (or use blue-light blocking glasses), keep your lights dimmed, shield your bedroom from light and electronics (do not have your mobile phone in the bedroom – or keep it far away on airplane mode), keep your bedroom cool, get to bed before 10 pm and don’t eat or drink too close to bedtime.

Also, when you do prolonged fasting, this might be good to keep in mind. You get more deep sleep when fasting and your need for sleep decreases, since your digestive system can finally relax. A lot of our need for longer sleep comes from digestive issues and/or eating too late in the evening (I usually recommend to have your last meal in late afternoon or no later than 7 pm.) When fasting, most people will do fine with 6 hours of sleep and others as little as 3 to 4.5 hours – when they normally need 7 to 9 hours.

So, in your case, you need a bit more sleep. And it’s crucial that you do everything you can to maximize sleep quality. And hitting ‘snooze’ is a clear indication that you need more sleep.
Joachim Bartoll
Founder and owner
Forum Donation | fastinglifestyle.info | Website | Facebook Group

Playboy6

Post by Playboy6 » May 30th, 2019, 1:32 pm

If I must go up 5.30 AM, to hit the gym before work. Do you still recommend no eating on the evening? I train fasted.

Whats the best way to wake up? Any wake up app you recommend?

Thank you for your sharing Best Joachim

Joachim Bartoll
Site Admin

Post by Joachim Bartoll » May 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm

You're welcome!

If you eat close to bedtime, you might feel tired from the food, but your digestion will be occupied for hours – drawing a lot of blood to your stomach and thus interfering with your first hours of sleep. My recommendation is to eat your last meal at least 3 hours before going to bed. Preferable closer to 4 or 5 hours, but that might not be possible for most people depending on family situations.

There are apps that uses the sensors in your phone to track your movements while you sleep and waking you up during your ‘light sleep’ within a window that you specify. Problem is that your mobile phone emits a lot of dangerous radiation. Keeping it on ‘airplane’ mode and turning off Wi-Fi will negate that a bit, but it’s still not ideal. Also, when sleeping two in the same bed, it might screw up the readings and thus waking you at the wrong time.
A better option would be some kind of smart-watch (without Wi-Fi or with it turned off), that monitors your movement, body temperature and heartbeat. It will wake you up with vibration and a ‘buzz’ as close to your desired time as possible while being in light sleep.
There are also warm-light lamps that can wake you up slowly within a desired time-window.

Finally, as mentioned in my previous post, you can simply set the alarm at 6 or 7.5 hours from when you go to bed (and perhaps add 10 minutes for falling asleep). After a while, as you get more conditioned, you should wake by yourself or at least be woken up during light sleep.

Being woken up during deep sleep or REM sleep will make you tired for hours and are a common reason why people hit that snooze button.
Joachim Bartoll
Founder and owner

Playboy6

Post by Playboy6 » May 31st, 2019, 1:55 pm

Thank you!

Any recommend if it does matter if waken on a angry BipBip alarm sound or good music?

Joachim Bartoll
Site Admin

Post by Joachim Bartoll » May 31st, 2019, 2:24 pm

It might. This is how I look at it.
If you wake-up to something you find disturbing or annoying, you might start to associate negative feelings to waking up by sound/alarm – and that will lead to bad mood and heightened release of cortisol.
With that in mind, I would prefer some relaxing sound or a song you really like and have positive emotions attached to. With the latter, it might actually put you in a good mood, making it easier to get up and start the day in the best way possible. Give it a try.
Joachim Bartoll
Founder and owner